Monday, February 26, 2007

Dare to be a Daniel

I am currently facilitating a women's bible study group that is working through the Beth Moore study of Daniel. We are about halfway through it and it has been an amazing journey so far. One thing we have discussed is how Babylon wasn't just an empire but a culture. When comparing the Babylonian mindset to our current culture, especially here in the US, it is not difficult to see the similarities. Daniel was a man who stood out in that culture and it was not at all easy for him to do so. He came under the attacks of others around him and was even thrown to the lions. His God, my God, closed the mouths of those lions to prove to all watching that He was God and that Daniel was on the right track.

I look around me at my current culture, where I can generally have what I want, when I want it and how I want it. It is a self-centered culture focused on what we each want, often with disregard to others. I want to be different from this culture. I want to be a Daniel.

Huh...I thought the book of Daniel was about a giant chocolate bunny and some guys named Rack, Shack and Benny.(Those with Veggie Tales loving children know what I mean.)

"Then King Darius...issued a decree that in every part of his kingdom people must fear and reverence the God of Daniel. "For He is the living God and he endures forever; his kingdom will not be destroyed, his dominion will never end. He rescues and he saves; he performs signs and wonders in the heavens and on the earth."
Daniel 6:25-27a

No comments: