Sunday, May 28, 2017

Root Check


20 years ago this month, we moved onto our bare acreage and planted a bunch of trees, including a quaking aspen in the front yard. We noticed, two summers ago, that several of the branches on one side of the tree had no leaves and much of the bark was coming off of the tree. We started looking at it closer and thinking. The previous summer, two young pine trees and an older one, fairly near this tree, had died and needed to be replaced. We came to the conclusion that this tree had been struck by lightning which electrified the ground enough to affect the other trees as well. Because we could still see lots of life on this tree and in hopes it would somehow recover, we decided to wait and see what happened rather than remove it. I said to Shannon, just this afternoon, "Look, there are some new leaves on the branches that we thought were dead. Maybe that tree is going to make a comeback."

And then, a windstorm happened. One minute, the tree was standing, like it always has, with lots of life and even signs of new life, the next minute, it was toppled, like a twig. Further examination showed the problem. The roots were soft and spongy and damaged terribly by the same electricity that had killed the three pine trees earlier. If you look at the picture, you can see, the tree literally broke off within inches of ground level. It pulled very little of the grass up.


It got me thinking, how strong are my roots? What have the storms in my life caused? Have they weakened me or strengthened me? Do I look full of life on the outside while I'm dying on the inside? What will the next storm bring? Will my faith be able to withstand it without toppling?

I want the storms of life to make me stronger. I want those storms to cause my roots to grow deeper and wider as I grasp for sure footing and the faith that feeds me like water does a tree. I want to look back and be thankful for the storm that caused my faith to be increased. Better yet, I want to be able to be thankful for the storm, not just after I have weathered it successfully but... while it is happening, praising Him who is causing the increase within me.

"Keep your roots deep in him and have your lives built on him. Be strong in the faith, just as you were taught, and always be thankful." -
Colossians 2:7 NCV


"A tree with strong roots laughs at the storm." -Malay Proverb

No comments: