Sunday, December 31, 2006

God is not Goldilocks

Here it is, New Years Eve Day and a Sunday. I am home from church today with a terrible sinus cold. It is beginning to feel like an infirmary around here. After Shannon and I were sick last weekend I went directly into this yucky cold and Molly ended up with a stomache virus this past week too.

Since I am home, I found myself thinking about last weeks sermon at church. Last week, all 5 of our pastors gave the sermon with each of them talking about a diferent part of the Christmas story. For example, Pastor Bruce spoke on Zacharias and Elizabeth, Pastor Jon spoke about Mary and another pastor on Joseph, the wisemen, ect. One thing that has really stuck in my mind this week came from Pastor Jon's portion of the sermon but applies to all of the portions of it. His mini-message that God is not Goldilocks. What does that mean you say? Well, unlike Goldilocks, God does not look at a person and say, "too small, too uneducated, too poor or too insignificant." God looks at a person, any person that is willing to do His will, no matter their age, education, finances or geographical position, and He says, "Just right!" If we are willing to do His will and follow Him, we too can be "just right." I find that thought very comforting as Shannon and I have fretted over our lack of education and finances, as well as all of the other seemingly impossible things that need to be overcome to go to Tanzania long-term.

Tonight we will go to my(Christine's) parents home for a New Years Eve celebration, joining other friends and relatives to eat yummy food and play games and visit. We will drive there on a brand new fresh coat of bright white snow, really the first significant snow of the winter. We want to wish you who are reading here a very Happy New Year and may all of your New Years goals for Christ be reached.

No comments: