Sunday, June 10, 2007

How Can I Explain Part 2

I will never forget the day, nearly 10 years ago, when we first met the couple who ended up being very important and dear friends of ours. It was in our current church. The church is an eclectic group of people-business owners and laborers, old and young, well dressed and casual. We sat down in a pew near Bob and Jamie and I noticed Bob had a "California raisins" t-shirt on. Do you remember those guys? They were sunglass wearing, dancing, singing, little raisin looking guys. Now I never really thought of them as "in" and never would have worn one of their t-shirts if they were, but by 10 years ago, they were definitely "out." I knew at the time, not to judge people's hearts based on what they were wearing but this was testing my limits. I hope you are sensing my attempt at sarcastic humor here.

Anyway, over the years and especially after going to Tanzania, I have seen even more and more that what we wear to church is not what matters. When I was there I remember many of the children wearing their Sunday best to church, which often consisted of what looked to be cast offs from my generation as a child-the 70's. Then this week I discovered former missionary, Andy's, blog. Here is yet another link to one of his stories called "What Not to Wear." It really puts it all into perspective.

No comments: