Sunday, July 01, 2007

On the Job Training?

Well, we are currently experiencing something at our home we have never had to before. With us doing foster care for over 5 years we were always prepared for the possibility but it never happened...until today.

This morning I left home early to get to church for the first service as I sing in the choir and we had a special performance today for the 4th of July and to honor the veterans in attendance. Just before the service began I received a message to call home immediately. I called home and Shannon informed me that E's head was covered in head lice! What should he do, he asked. I told him there was olive oil in the shampoo cupboard, waiting for just such an occasion. He doused E's head with it and put a shower cap on him, leaving the lice to drown while the rest of us attended church. Anyway, the rest of the children seem to be lice fee though we are questioning the possibility of some eggs in M's hair.

We are using a shampoo and heavy salt mixture on everyone's heads in the home as that will kill both the lice and the eggs. Then we are shampooing with shampoo that has tea tree oil mixed in it as that repels lice. Hopefully we can kick this with those efforts as well as washing all bedding and vacuuming well. The kids are upset that their stuffed animals are being bagged up to suffocate any possible survivors. WE think the lice may have been contracted at summer camp so I will call there tomorrow to let them know of the possibilty of this being a issue for future campers in the cabin E stayed in.

I refer to on the job training as we are well aware that as orphans come into our care, this is one thing we will be doing a lot of.

On a fun note, this morning E had a bit of silliness. He found a bell and rang it and announced "Unclean, unclean!" as he walked around just as the lepers did during bible times. We all had fun with it.

Please pray with us that we can get rid of these things soon and not have a reinfestation in the next few weeks as is common.

2 comments:

Qtpies7 said...

OH man, a big Been There, done that from over here!

If you have room in the deep freeze, you can put the bagged stuffed animals in there, I think the freezing would kill the lice? Or would they just hybernate? LOL I've heard of doing it for something, I just don't remember what.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Ick - I remember my kids also bringing it home from camp - I now bring a sheet to put on the mattress and then the sleeping bag on top - Don't know if it works but it at least sets my mind at ease - hate lice!

Barb