Wednesday, August 06, 2008

By Whose Authority?

A couple of weeks ago at church, Pastor Keith announced that he would be fasting and praying in the sanctuary every lunch hour for the next 10 days. He invited anyone in the congregation who wished to join him to do so. I wasn't able to be there all 10 days but I made an appearance for quite a few of the days. Each day we prayed as a group for different needs within the church. One day we were praying about evangelism. We prayed that we, as a church, would be more bold about speaking to others about our faith-whether it be as we are shopping, out for a walk, or visiting over the fence with neighbors.

Isn't is sad how intimidated and fearful we get about speaking about our faith? We have something to share with people that can literally change their lives but we often want to use "lifestyle evangelism" to reach others with it. I am so glad that the people who shared Christ with me weren't just using lifestyle evangelism or I'd still be doomed to an eternity in hell. I'm not saying that how we live our lives isn't tremendously important in reaching others, but it's a rare person who finds Christ simply from watching. They still need to hear.

One of my part-time jobs involves knocking on doors and asking strangers personal questions about themselves for the Census Bureau. Yes, we do work all of the time, not just during the 10 year population count. Anyway, I drive into people's farms or driveways, knock on their doors, explain what I am doing, and then do it with minimal fear. A lot of the reason is because I am there under government authority. I wear a badge that basically identifies me as someone who can be at your door, as long as your address is on my computer screen. I have authority to be there doing what I am doing.

I need to remind myself that when I am out telling others about Jesus Christ and what He has done for me and what He can do for them, I also have authority. I have a God-given authority to be doing it. That authority, dear reader, is the best kind of authority I can get!

"If God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:31b

No comments: