Friday, August 15, 2008

The Grass Isn't Always Greener

A couple of months ago, after we first allowed our young chickens outside, we discovered that one was missing. We searched our 6 acres and the fields around the property but could find no signs of it. We did discover a small hole at the corner of the fence that it may have gotten out through but we never did find the chicken. We fixed the hole and also added on an n larger 100x100 foot fenced in area for the birds.

About two weeks ago we discovered our black lab in the back yard eating a freshly killed(by her)chicken that must have flown over the 4 foot high fence. We bought a bunch of chicken wire and proceeded to make the fence about three foot higher in an effort to keep them in.

Last Sunday evening I heard a squawking coming from the back yard and saw our black lab near the gate of the fence. I took off running and yelling at the dog. When I arrived at the scene I again found a dead chicken, this one our favorite, her name was Lucy. When we had added to the fence we had forgotten the gate and she must have gone over that to get to the "greener grass." The kids and I were horrified, especially after the most recent killing of our favorite chicken. We have since heightened the fencing over the gate and hope we have the problem solved.

I've been thinking a lot about how so many unsaved people are afraid to come to Christ because they aren't willing to give up the things that they think are against the rules and they think make life fun. Even we Christians often wonder if we are missing something by following God's commandments. God has put His commands into place not because He is trying to limit us but because He is trying to protect us. I hope that my family and I will be unlike our chickens and always remember that the fence is there for our protection.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry that happened to you -those country labs must be a bit wilder. Our lab is fine around our hens. Just curious - why don't you clip one wing? That ought to keep them in, and doesn't hurt them any. Bird netting over chains would work too, but it can be spendy.

Qtpies7 said...

That is so true.

You know, I check your blog over and over and over, and there is nothing new, so I stop, and then I miss big happenings!
I'm so glad you guys are both safe after your accident.