Saturday, April 28, 2007

So good to be home

After all week in Kansas City for training I arrived at the Kansas City airport yesterday to discover my flight back to Minneapolis had been canceled. I was not happy. After half an hour with an agent for the airline I was even less happy. I ended up having to fly down to Houston to catch a flight back up to Minneapolis! Instead of getting to the MSP airport at 7PM I ended up arriving at 1AM with a two hour+ drive ahead of me. Anyway, I am home and glad to be here. I have spent the morning after a quick few hour snooze, doing laundry and unpacking. I plan to catch a nap this afternoon as I am tired. I am questioning whether I will fly or not if I have to return to KC later for more trainings. I could have driven home from KC faster than it took me to get home by plane yesterday. On top of all that I was so lucky as to be chosen to be searched. So after a pat down I had to stand and watch while my briefcase and purse were searched. I had forgotten to throw my 9 oz bottle of discontinued, favorite scent, expensive( although I got it on clearance) hand lotion in my carry on. It was in my purse and since they don't allow anything more than 3 oz on carry on was thrown away. The flight out of Houston was delayed by over an hour...so that was my day.

I am amazed how travelers in airports are so rude. I felt like it is a place where people's true colors really show. I guess people think that since they will never see each other again, they can be rude and selfish and it won't matter. I made several efforts to strike up conversations with people. Most either ignored me or walked away as quickly as they could. I had even showered! In Houston, however, during my 4 hour wait, I struck up a conversation with one young guy. A couple of minutes later, another one sitting in the vicinity joined us. Then an older woman, then her husband arrived. It wasn't long before we had about 8 of us visiting and laughing together. It seemed like people were drawn to our group and several left for flights while others would join in. It sure made the time go faster.

I will get my first assignments from the Census Bureau on Monday so will be busy this next week getting to know my new work. It will be a fun job where I will get to meet many new people and make a little extra money to help pay off some debt as well. Our van is in need of being either traded in or getting some major repair as well so this should help. We are also moving into spring planting weather so I will be working more on the mail route while the regular carrier gets his crops in. I'm very glad the kids and I are mostly done with their schoolwork as May is looking busy.

1 comment:

Qtpies7 said...

sounds like your trip was an adventure in patience!
Glad you are home now!