Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Speaking at the women's retreat

We are having major issues with the speed of our internet connection lately. At times it takes me half an hour or more just to connect to my email program. That is why it has taken me so long to post about last Friday. I know some of you are waiting for that as you have contacted me by email, phone and in person asking how it went. It went well! I arrived there after a two hour plus drive a bit early so I could hang with Lisa and visit with her. I did a bit to help with getting ready and we set up the video projector for my slide show video. Unfortunately the church's video projector had recently been knocked over so the video was jiggly but it ended up working out. It got my message across.

After around 25 ladies arrived and we ate supper, we headed upstairs to have some praise and worship time. Lisa then called me forward. I gave our testimony. I say our because from the age of 13 on I have been with Shannon so most of my testimony involves him. It is a testimony of God turning bad to good, over and over and over again. Shannon and I have had many troubled times in our marriage and it is truly by God's grace that we are together today. I called my talk Pieces of Our Lives and used my most recent quilt as a prop. I held up the many different but boring fabrics. They had ragged edges and aren't all that beautiful by themselves. I talked of how God can take all of those pieces and put them together into something very beautiful. We both are thrilled that he has chosen to use us to fulfill His purposes in His glory. I then challenged the women there to each be watching for their purpose in God's plan. I also showed our slide show video. It was made up of pictures from our trips to Tanzania and the song What Now played in the background. The words to the song are at the bottom of my January page in the archives. You can access it in the column to the left. I haven't quite figured out how to link things. Afterwards, several of the women came up to speak with me about our plans.

We then did some more praise and worship and eventually headed to the basement to play games and eat. We played Apples to Apples, a game I would highly recommend. In fact, the next day I ran to Target to buy the Junior edition to play as a family. We have had fun with it. As the night wore on some women went home to sleep, others went to sleep on the couches and others were still up when I left. I left at 1:30 and arrived home around 3:30AM. It was a long drive at that time of night and it was rainy and foggy.

I really enjoyed my time with the women there. They seem to like having a great time together and were a wonderful loving group. They also have a ladies night out one Friday night per month where they all get together at the church, childless except for nursing babes and play games, socialize and have fun. It would be fun to carry something like that over to our church. I may need to mention it to someone.

Thank you to the ladies of that church. I really had a good time. I hope you were able to take something from my talk and personalize it.

1 comment:

Qtpies7 said...

Christine, you did great! People talked to me about it on Sunday, too! They loved how open and honest you were. We are a big mission minded church, and love to hear more about it from people who are called. We support 12 families a year as a church body, and others support on their own outside of that.
Thanks so much for coming! I enjoyed visiting with you again! I know you won't forget OUR version of Apples to Apples, hehe. Maybe one month you'd like to come over for our Ladies night?? Bring some friends??
Haha! I know, its an awful long drive for that, but its tons of fun!